Monday, August 19, 2013

Is Ugly REALLY the new pretty?


Our coveted fashion magazines have been the holy grail of fashion since the beginning of Vogue. They not only set the standards of beauty, but help us to improve what our mamas gave us! For this reason alone the new Marc Jacobs ads really have me questioning whether or not ugly is the new pretty. I usually love to sit and stare blankly at his risqué and rather candid ads, but his latest has really thrown me for a loop. I can’t stare at it for too long or else I find that my face falls a bit like Lily McMenamy’s; the model pictured on the left. Not only are the models looking rather drab, but the garments themselves aren’t translating well either.

This all-together awkward photo was obviously no accident. Wearing past socially, or, more importantly, fashionably unacceptable clothing is becoming more chic with every passing day. Don’t take my word for it but, rather, look on the streets of Beverly Hills and New York City. Models, fashion bloggers and young stars are sporting everything from fanny packs and turtlenecks to the coveted Birkenstocks and getting put in the best-dressed sections of fashion blogs everywhere.


I am going to embrace a few of these long lost looks myself. I am DYING for a good pair of overalls to style with some chunky jewelry and sky high heels, as they say, 'The higher the heel the closer to God'. I may even go on the hunt for a few turtlenecks to sport this fall with high wasted denim, a stylish metallic bib necklace and sexy pumps! My dad has scared me away from the fanny pack for YEARS! I mean can we even call it a fanny pack if he wears it on the front?  Who knows though, maybe its time for one super chic belt purse.

All this talk of adding new (yet old) styles to my wardrobe has got me excited!
Having problems working these style staples into your fall wardrobe? Talk to me – we’re in this together!





Written By Scarlet
Approved by Melrose

No comments:

Post a Comment